Re: contouring weirdness with FillValues

From: David B. Reusch <dbr_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2008 09:52:04 -0400

Hello all,

In case any of you were still wondering what became of this question, it
turns out (after much, much more digging in the data) that NCL is
totally off the hook on this one: I really do have "bad data". To
quote Mary Haley, "the contouring code inside NCL is pretty solid" and I
can now add my enthusiastic endorsement to that. They may find an
occasional bug in NCL but I'd say it's far more likely to be something
wrong on our end!

Cheers,
Dave

David Reusch said the following on 9/28/2008 9:11 PM:
> Hello,
>
> I have come across some "weirdness" in NCL contouring that I have not
> been able to resolve and was hoping for some help. The attached
> figures show what I hope to produce and what I'm getting for specific
> datasets that have _FillValue data in them. In the "bad_plot" image,
> the central unfilled area is being plotted correctly as it represents
> _FillValue data. The areas "above" and "below" are also handled
> correctly. It's only the areas to each side that go crazy with
> contours (and I get the same result without the color fill).
>
> <snip>
>
> Thanks for your time,
> Dave Reusch

517 Deike Building