Re: Problems Using ut_calendar

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 14:57:15 -0600

Hi Katie

 From NCL's archives, a rather detailed discussion is at:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Support/talk_archives/2003/0337.html

NCL provides a direct interface Unidata "udunits" code.
This differs from that used by, say, Matlab [Also, "ncview"].

Change "no leap" to "standard" can be dangerous.

=====
FYI: NCL is looking at expanding the Unidata ut_calendar to support
other calendars in the near future.

Katie Holman wrote:
> I am looking at GCM data that has the time units in "days since
> 0000-01-01 00:00:00". The attribute time:calendar = "no leap" so I
> have been explicitly changing that attribute in the script to
> "standard" because the ut_calendar() doesn't support the "no leap"
> calendar type. I am sure the first day of the file is 01-01-1981 (by
> using the ncdump command and actually calculating it). When I use the
> ut_calendar function, the first output value says 09-06-1980. Since I
> know that the output isn't correct, do you have any suggestions of why
> this is happening? The second alternative is that I should be using a
> different function in NCL. There is another function called
> ut_convert ... should I be using this one perhaps? If neither is a
> good choice, is there something else I should be looking for on the
> website?
>

> Thank you,
> Katie Holman
> UW-Madison Grad Student

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |