GEMPAK data in NCL

From: Carl J. Schreck, III <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:42:30 -0400

Here at University at Albany, a lot of us have been transitioning over
to NCL from other programs, mostly ncar-graphics and gempak. Most of
our in-house data storage is in gridded gempak files, so that slowed
the transition to NCL somewhat. In order to make NCL more useful
here, Gareth Berry & I have developed some wrapped functions that
allow gempak grids to be read in NCL using the gempak library.

I'm not sure how many others on this list use gempak for data storage,
but I thought I would pass this along in case it could help anyone
else. I've done my best to document what we did at
http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/carl/gem2ncl/geml2ncl.htm

Let me know if anything doesn't make sense or if I've made any
mistakes in the documentation.

       Cheers,
       Carl