char/string

From: <Oliver.Fuhrer_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 15:46:34 +0100

Dear all,

I would like to find the occurences of "*" in a string. I thought an
elegant way of doing this is...

a="TOT_PREC_HYBY_acc*"
i=ind(stringtochar(a) .eq. "*")

Now, it seems that NCL coerces the stringtochar(a) back to a string, as
it supposes that "*" is a string an not a character. The way it would
work is...

a="TOT_PREC_*_HYBY_acc*"
b=stringtochar("*")
i=ind(stringtochar(a) .eq. b(0))

I was just wondering, if there is a way of telling NCL that a explicitly
specified variable such as "*" should be a character, and not a string.

Thanks,
Oli

Oliver Fuhrer
Numerical Models

Federal Departement of Home Affairs FDHA
Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss

Kraehbuehlstrasse 58, P.O. Box 514, CH-8044 Zurich, Switzerland

Tel. +41 44 256 93 59
Fax +41 44 256 92 78
oliver.fuhrer_at_meteoswiss.ch
www.meteoswiss.ch - First-hand information