Re: Assigning dimension name in subroutine

From: Dave Allured <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:22:06 -0700

Oliver,

I think you may have found a minor bug in NCL. Your program seems
completely legal to me. According to the manual:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclStatements.shtml#Procedures

   "Parameters in NCL are always passed by reference,
   meaning changes to their values, attributes,
   *dimension names*, and coordinate variables within
   functions change their values outside of the
   functions."

I tried your program and got the same warning message. My NCL
version is an early 5.0.1 pre-release on Mac OS 10.5 PPC. Thanks
for reporting this.

Dave Allured
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/