syntax for creating array for data fordata from ascii file

From: Erik Noble <enoble_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 01:15:34 -0500

Hi. Could I have some help here with a simple question? I just want to make
sure that I am getting the syntax right for using data from an ascii file to
create and array. I keep running into problems.
I have an ascii file that is three columns -" time", "longitude", and
"rainfall amount (mm)", and 630 rows.
  2006:09:01 -20.000 11.3280
  2006:09:01 -19.500 12.2291
. . .
. . .
. . .

I am trying to create a time vs. longitude plot (hovmoller) which requires
that data be 2 dimensional with longitude as the the right-most dimension.
To correctly read in this data into an array "rain" would be the following?
rain = new((/2/630/),float)
rain(0,:)=data(:,0) ; to read in time
rain(1,:)=data(:,1) ; to read in lon

The next step would be to just plot the data

plot = gsn_csm_hov(wks, rain, res )

Where do the actual "rainfall amount" rainfall amount values go if I have
already "filled" in the dimensions for time and longitude? Just trying to
understand the concept and what else I need to do.
Thank you for your time.
-Erik