problem with indexing when spanning multiple files

From: <franco.catalano_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 22:32:32 +0100

Hi ncl team,
I have found a problem with variable indexing when spanning multiple files.
I have two big wrf output files:
wrfout-00-09.nc which contains the first 9 hours of simulation;
wrfout-09-18.nc which contains the subsequent 9 hours.
I read both files with the following commands:

all_files = systemfunc("ls /data/wrfout*")
a = addfiles (all_files,"r")

If I read all time instants of variable, it works fine:

phb = a[:]->PH(:,:,:,:)

and the dimensions of ph are correct:

print(dimsizes(ph))

gives me the expected output:

(0) 108
(1) 58
(2) 99
(3) 359

If, instead, I read the same variable, but only for a specified time instant, let's say 1:

ph_1 = a[:]->PH(1,:,:,:)

the second dimension, z, is read with a dimension which is double as the correct one:

(0) 116
(2) 99
(3) 359

This is a serious problem when working with large datasets, since reading the whole variables is time and memory consuming. This
could be avoided with a correct indexed reading.
Thank you for your kindness.

Franco Catalano

Eng. Franco Catalano
Ph.D. Student

D.I.T.S.
Department of Hydraulics, Transportation and Roads.
Via Eudossiana 18, 00184 Rome
Sapienza University of Rome.
tel: +390644585218