Re: Reflectivity

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 12:30:52 -0700 (MST)

Hi Jonathan,

I just got back from vacation, and I've been trying to follow all the
emails on this subject.

I don't know what "wrf_user_getref" is. Where did you hear about it?
It's not part of the NCL distribution, as far as I can tell. It may
have been something you downloaded from the WRF website (like
something that is part of their wrf_plot.ncl or wrf_user_mass.ncl
scripts) scripts, so you should write to wrfhelp_at_ucar.edu and ask them
about this.

Meanwhile, the function for calculating reflectivity, which will
be in the V5.1.0 release soon, is called "wrf_dbz". I believe this
is the one you want. Please see:

   http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/wrf_dbz.shtml

Note example 2 towards the bottom, that uses:

   dbz = wrf_user_getvar(a,"dbz",-1) ; calculate dbz for all times in file

This function is available on bluefire, and I believe I already sent
you a message offline on how to access the beta 5.1.0 version there.

--Mary