Re: Tutorial script question; hyam and hybm

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 17:27:39 -0700

Hi Erik,
I will try to answer this as best I can, but you should probably talk
to someone knowledgeable about WRF for a "real" answer.

hyam and hybm stand for hybrid level coefficients "a" and "b" at the
the midlevel of the vertical layer.
P0 is the reference pressure.

The usual formula for converting from hybrid levels to pressure
levels is the following for a field with dimensions (time, lev, lat,
lon):

pressure (time, lev, lat, lon) = hyam(lev) * P0 + hybm(lev) *
surface_pressure(time,lat,lon)

As an apparent simplification this example script assumes the surface
pressure is everywhere equal to the reference pressure, making the
pressure levels constant,
This reduces the equation to

pressure(lev) = (hyam(lev) + hybm(lev)) * P0.

Hope this helps.
  -dave