Re: NCL operationally

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 09:18:32 -0700

Hi Oliver

Today is a national holiday. Here in Colorado,
we are expecting near record breaking tempertures
[forecast high temperature is 16C :-) ]
Hence, I do not expect people to be logging in today.

I will let NCL's graphics people answer about future
png plans.

Comment: the reason why reading the grib1 or grib2
via NCL can take some time is that NCL is making
the variables on the GRIB files conform to a netCDF
data model. The issue is that GRIB is a *record format*
NOT a *file format* like netCDF or HDF. A GRIB file
is just a collection of individual grib records. There
are no rules. The grib records can be in any random
order. So NCL must look at the *entire file*. On the
fly, it creates pointers to records, creates uniqu
look like a netCDF file's contents. Importing to this
common data model comes at a price .... time to organize.

So, I doubt it is the overhead involved with using
"convert" that is the problem. It is the file
organization overhead that causes the slowdown.

---
I have never used MetView. I speculate it reads
'just' the grib records necessary for the plots.
A possible alternative to using ncl_convert2nc offline:
Use  wgrib to strip off the required records
and then have NCL work on the selected subset.
Something along the following:
    system('"wgrib -s grib_file | grep ":HGT:500 mb:" | wgrib -i -grib \
           grib_file -o temporary_grib_file" ')
    f = addfile ("temporary_grib_file.grb", "r")
    x = f->HGT...
      [do whatever]
    system("/bin/rm -f temporary_grib_file.grb"
See: ftp://ftp.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wd51we/wgrib/tricks.wgrib
----
As far as creating png via convert, my style is the following:
   pltDir  = "./"
   pltType = "png"
   pltName = "mjo_spectra"
   pltConvert = "-density 96 -trim +repage"
These could be done via NCL's Command Line Arguments if desired
;------------------------------------------------------------
; PLOTS
;------------------------------------------------------------
   if (pltType.eq."png") then
       pltTypeLocal = "ps"
   else
       pltTypeLocal = pltType
   end if
   pltPath = pltDir+pltName
   wks = gsn_open_wks(pltTypeLocal,pltPath)
      [plot(s)]
    if (pltType.eq."png") then
        if (.not.isvar("pltConvert")) then
            pltConvert = " "               ; default
        end if
        system("convert "+pltConvert+" "+pltPath+".ps "+pltPath+".png")
        system("/bin/rm -f "+pltPath+".ps")
    end if
Regards