RE: [ncl-talk] NCL operationally

From: <Oliver.Fuhrer_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 18:12:22 +0100

Hi all,

This is just a follow up on my from January 16 concerning a comparison
of NCL vs. MetView. We've continued the testing and improved quite a lot
the performance NCL. Our benchmark is a script which produces 3 plots
(RH @ 850hPa, T + Geopot. Height @ 850Hpa, ThetaE + Geopot. Height @
850hPa). The equivalent potential temperature is computed from model
variables in the graphics package. We repeat the script 10x and write
output to *.eps in NCL which is afterwards converted to *.png with
convert or pstoimg. MetView can write directly png files and thus the
values for the conversion are missing. The results in seconds are as
follows...

         PS Plot Conversion to png Total
                      convert pstoimg
MetView (46) 50
NCL 28 26 18 46

Several things to note:

- NCL performs badly for reading large (huge) grib files. We've used an
external program to reduce the number of grib records to what we
actually need for plotting.

- As mentioned in one the posts, pstoimg outperforms convert, even
though it is based on ghostscript under the hood. Probably the antialias
is done differently.

- NCL would slow down by a factor of 2-3 if it would also display the
data in a transformed projection. We use the "native grid"
(tfDoNDCOverlay = "NDCDataExtent") method in order to drastically
improve performance. Since MetView is displaying the data in a
Stereographic projection and our model uses a CylindricalEquidistant
projection with a rotated grid, the comparison is not completely fair. I
suppose this is the price we pay for having the option of "on the fly"
transformation of NCARG Graphics the moment the plots are overlaid!

- The experimental PNG driver seems to be very slow (as already noted in
a post) and conversion of *.ps or *.pdf seems to be the way to go.
Nevertheless, I think there is considerable interest in the community to
have fast and efficient *.png output from NCL.

- We will probably start introducing NCL operationally for the first few
plots quite soon... :-)

- I would have liked to try the option of using the NCAR Graphics
Metafile format and conversion to *.png via ctrans. But ctrans does not
seem to be part of my NCL distribution. At least it does not sit in the
$NCARG_ROOT/bin directory along with idt, ncl, and all the rest... Any
ideas?

Thanks for all the posts and help!

Cheers,
Oli

Oliver Fuhrer
Numerical Models

Federal Departement of Home Affairs FDHA
Federal Office of Meteorology and Climatology MeteoSwiss

Kraehbuehlstrasse 58, P.O. Box 514, CH-8044 Zurich, Switzerland

Tel. +41 44 256 93 59
Fax +41 44 256 92 78
oliver.fuhrer_at_meteoswiss.ch
www.meteoswiss.ch - First-hand information