Re: 32-bit NCAR libraries

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 07:52:40 -0700 (MST)

On Sun, 1 Feb 2009, [gb2312] 大奎 王 wrote:

> Hi, I met a problem on聽 32-bit NCAR libraries.
> The corresponding codes in my script is:
> 聽
> if ( $fmt == "ras" ) then
> # set CONVERT="/home/arango/bin/imconv/imconv"
> #聽 set CONVERT="/usr/bin/convert"
> 聽 set CONVERT="/usr/local/bin/convert"
> 聽 setenv NCARG_ROOT $NCARG32_ROOT
> 聽 set CTRANS=$NCARG_ROOT/bin/ctrans
> else if ( $fmt == "vec" ) then
> 聽 set CONVERT="/usr/local/bin/convert +antialias -density 108"
> 聽 set CTRANS=$NCARG_ROOT/bin/ctrans
> endif
>
> What complains when I run the script is:
> NCARG32_ROOT: Undefined variable.
>
> The NCARG32_ROOT is 32-bit NCAR libraries. What is that libraries and how to
> install it?
> Thank you?

The NCARG32_ROOT environment variable is not part of the NCAR Graphics
installation or environment. This was apparently something that
whoever wrote the above script did in order to switch between a
32-bit and 64-bit version of NCAR Graphics.

I'm guessing they were having problems with the 64-bit version of
ctrans, so they installed a 32-bit version, and set up this special
environment variable to allow you to switch.

Please check with your system administrator about what NCARG32_ROOT
should be set to.

> By the way, I have successfully installed ncl_ncarg-5.0.0.Linux_i686_gcc4 in my Ubuntu OS. So,聽 what's libraries in the package(32 or 64)?

The "i686" indicates that you have a 32-bit version. So, perhaps
you don't need the NCARG32_ROOT. Try modifying this script
and changing NCARG32_ROOT NCARG_ROOT. Be sure to comment the
line:

# setenv NCARG_ROOT $NCARG32_ROOT