Re: Need help on GRIB Reader

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 11:46:32 -0700

Hi Abhinav,

This is a fundamental question about how to interpret the octets of
GRIB 2 file. I would strongly suggest you that you employ a low-level
GRIB2 reading
library to perform this basic task for you, so that you can
concentrate on higher-level issues.

You can get the NCEP GRIB 2 reading code at

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/codes/GRIB2/

There are both C and Fortran versions.
Another option is the ECMWF GRIB API that Oliver Fuhrer suggested:

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/data/software/grib_api.html

I am not familiar with developing in a .NET environment so I do not
know what you would need to do to build either of these packages. I
suspect that the NCEP g2clib code would be easier to start with. It
is used by the wgrib2 utility, which I would recommend that you
become familiar with both as an example of a GRIB2 reader with
accessible code, and also as a development tool for checking whether
your code produces compatible results when fed the same input GRIB2
file.

Even if you decide to create low-level code yourself, you could
answer questions like the one below by studying the source code of
these packages.
Hope this helps.
   -dave