Re: linint2: gfortran_internal_malloc

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 09:02:24 -0600

Hi Arindam,

I think you've run into the infamous gfortran incompatibility. You
have gfortran version 4.3, but the NCL you have was compiled with
4.1.2. Unfortunately this causes some missing dependencies.

Please see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Download/install.shtml#LinuxMacNotes

and in particular, read the part about "compat-libgfortran". I
believe you can go to:

http://rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2html/search.php?query=compat-libgfortran-41

and download the "compat-libgfortran" for gfortran 4.1.2, install it
somewhere on your machine,
and then point the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable to this
location.

On some systems, I linked libgfortran statically, which basically
means there's no dependency
on this library. I called this special binary "ncl.static". You can
test to see if your version of NCL
has this special binary:

     which ncl.static

If it does, then try:

   ncl.static your_script

I wish this were easier, but when we moved away from g77 to gfortran,
we started noticing these problems.
I've been in touch with the gfortran people about a way to work
around this, and hopefully by the time
we have our next release, I'll be able to compile NCL without this
dependency.

--Mary