BUG: gsn_open_wks

From: Lunde, Bruce N CIV NAVOCEANO, NP1 <bruce.lunde_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 15:00:16 -0400

Hello,

I encountered a sort of "bug" when passing
arguments to gsn_open_wks().

I was passing string variables as inputs to
gsn_open_wks(), but NCL would "error out"
when my string variables contained an
attribute of "_FillValue = missing".

I have not tracked down why my string variables
obtained an attribute of "_FillValue = missing",
but I was passing in a string value of "eps" and
the error would occur in the gsn_code.ncl module
within the routine gsn_open_ps() at the fifth
executable line which reads

     wkres@$names(i)$ = type@$names(i)$

and the error was

     fatal:Type Mismatch: The type of missing
     value could not be converted to type of
     variable (wkres)

The way I used to get around this error was to
put delete(wks_type@_FillValue) prior to my
call to gsn_open_wks().

You can mimic what happened with the following
bit of code:

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
begin
wks_type = "eps"
wks_type@_FillValue = ""
wks = gsn_open_wks(wks_type,"testing")