Re: ncl_filedump output

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 11:46:59 -0600

The NCL Reference Manual
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/
Then, click "Supported data format information"

This provides a full description of NCL's naming convention for GRIB
variables. The purpose is to guarantee unique variable names.

The following shows specific GRIB tables which are builtin to NCL

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB1-built-in-parameter-tables

The "short names" are the ones in the GRIB table.
The long_name is is the rightmost entry

gnes Lim Huei Ni wrote:
> Hi
>
> I had used ncl_filedump to read the information in a GFS analysis file.
> However, I some variables I cannot really tell what it specifically
> mean from the variable name given
>
> Does anyone know where i can find documentation on this?
>
> Some variables that I am looking for are
> PRES_3_MWSL_10
> PRES_3_PVL_10
> HGT_3_0DEG_10
> HGT_3_MWSL_10
> HGT_3_ISBL_10 and etc
>
> Bassically I want to know what the various short forms means. (eh PVL,
> NWSL, ISBL etc).
>
> Thanks
> Agnes

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |