Re: ncl_filedump output

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 12:02:34 -0600

Hi Agnes,
The abbreviations you are wondering about all relate to the level
indicator. Since these are NCL GRIB 1 style names you can find the
meaning of each of these names at this page:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/docs/on388/table3.html

PVL = potential vorticity surface
MWSL = maximum wind level
0DEG = Level of 0 deg (C) isotherm
ISBL = isobaric level

As Dennis noted in another message, a complete explanation of the
naming scheme (with pointers to appropriate tables) is available at
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/
NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB

  -dave