Re: warning when using GFS analysis data

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 15:58:05 -0600

Hi Agnes,

In general you should know that the major centers such as NCEP and
ECMWF add new parameters to their tables on a regular basis. It is
not possible for us to keep our tables completely up-to-date if we
want to get any other work done. However, if you want, you can use
your own text-based tables that you can update yourself. You can
start with text-based tables that are downloadable from our web-site.
You can find them by going to:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/
NclFormatSupport.shtml#GRIB1-built-in-parameter-tables

Click on any of the built-in tables and you will find a link to a
downloadable text-based version that you can use if you set
NCL_GRIB_PTABLE_PATH appropriately (Also read the next section
entitled "User-defined GRIB1 parameter tables").

However, in this particular case parameter number 255 means "missing"
and likewise table version 255 also means a missing table. So I would
suspect that this GRIB record and the NCL variable VAR_255 should
just be ignored.
  -dave