Re: pcolor for NCL?

From: Sang-Ki Lee <Sang-ki.Lee_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 10:04:29 -0400

Mary Haley wrote:
> Sang-Ki,
>
> I need more information; I'm not sure what you mean by variable
> colors in each polygon.
>
> Do you have sample image created by Matlab that I can look at?
>
> --Mary

Mary,

An example plot can be found at:

ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/pub/sklee/pub/ncl-talk/climode.temp_65w.ps

Lines represent interface between two adjacent layers. In each layer,
the layer temperature varies horizontally. So, there can be
discontinuity at layer interfaces.

To get his plot, I had to interpolate layer temperature into
z-coordinate at 10m interval, then do raster filling. It looks ok.
But, I was wondering if there is a better way to do it.

A mathlab user told me that this can be achieved by using pcolor
function. Here is an example plot using pcolor:

ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/phod/pub/sklee/pub/ncl-talk/pcolor.jpg

Thank you.

Sang-Ki

P.S. BTW, this model is MICOM.

>> Hi,
>>
>> I have output from a layer ocean model. For each layer,
>> temperature varies horizontally.
>>
>> If I want to show a vertical cross section using Mathlab,
>> I can use "pcolor" function. Basically, pcolor represents
>> each layer as polygon, but with variable colors in each
>> polygon. Does NCL has any function similar?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Sang-Ki

Sang-Ki Lee
RSMAS/CIMAS