missing values from grib variable

From: Wolfgang Langhans <wolfgang.langhans_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 21:40:05 +0200

Hi,
I have two questions:
1) I read in a variable from a grib file:
LAI_MX=f->LAI_MX_GDS10_SFC(:,:)
where f points at the grib file. The command printVarSummary(LAI_MX)
shows the attribute _FillValue : -999. There should actually be plenty
of missing value entries in this variable, but these have the value zero
instead, which is not good. How does it come that wrong missing values
are assigned here?

2) Following option 2 for netcdf output on the webpage I export to
netcdf format. One variable is simply a dimensionless character and I
run into troubles, if I use getvardims:

filevardef(fout,
"rotated_pole",typeof(rotated_pole),getvardims(rotated_pole))

How should I proceed here, when no dimensions need to be assigned to
"rotated_pole"?

Many thanks,
Wolfgang

Wolfgang Langhans

Institute for Atmospheric and Climate Science
ETH Zürich
Universitätstrasse 16
CH-8092 Zürich, Switzerland

e-mail: wolfgang.langhans_at_env.ethz.ch
phone : +41 44 632 78 18
fax : +41 44 632 13 11
room : CHN L16.3
web : http://www.iac.ethz.ch/people/wolangha