Re: Plotting Colors for Missing Values

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 15:29:15 -0600 (MDT)

Hi Melissa,

Thanks for the script and data.

The problem is that the missing value fill color setting was never
working, because you need to also set:

   res_at_cnMissingValFillPattern = "SolidFill"

(The default is "hollowfill".)

The "green" fill you were seeing is from map fill. It is green
because (as Adam stated earlier) the gsn_csm_xxx_map scripts try to
fill the land area in "gray", and if your colormap doesn't have
"gray", the next closest color will be used.

I believe V5.0.0 of NCL had a bug in it in that affected map
fill being used with the high-res database. That's why you were
seeing "white" when using 5.0.0.

So, the short of it is, you need to set:

   res_at_cnMissingValFillPattern = "SolidFill"
   res_at_cnMissingValFillColor = "white"

I will make sure the resource documentation is more clear on this.

--Mary