NCL as a scripting language: one step further

From: Rob Nicholas <rnicholas_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 13:05:17 -0700

Hi all,

I know that many folks use NCL within Csh or Bash script using
something like the following approach:

   #!/bin/sh
   cat > temp_ncl_script.ncl << EOF
   begin
      .
      .
      .
   end
   EOF
   ncl temp_ncl_script.ncl
   rm temp_ncl_script.ncl

However, it turns out that the following *simpler* approach will also work...

   #!/usr/local/bin/ncl
   begin
      .
      .
      .
   end

...but with one minor problem: NCL generates an error on the first
line of the script. Does anyone know of a way to get NCL to ignore
the opening line of the above script when it is executed directly from
the shell?

While I'm on the subject, I'd like to make a request to the
developers: Although both # and ! have particular meanings within
NCL, would it be possible to have NCL ignore the first line of a
script if it begins with a "#!"? If not added as a standard behavior,
could it be enabled with a command line option?

Thanks,
Rob