how to get the same Y-axis for contour, vector, and xy plots on same frame

From: TJ <wxtofly_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 00:51:46 -0700

Hello,

I am trying to create a sort of meteogram-type plot where the x-axis
is time and the y-axis is altitude.

I am having trouble getting an xy plot of lcl X time use the same scale for the
Y axis as the vector plot of Wind X Time and the contour plot of local lapse
rate X Time.

How do I ensure that the plot of lcl will be using the same y-axis
pressure/height levels as the other two??? Should I be using overlay?

All varibles being plotted are from wrfout data files. The two gridded
variables share the same bottom_top dimension and the same Time dimesnion. The
lcl variable is one dimensional in time but its units are the same units as the
Y-azis, ( I've tried both pressure and z.)

I have successfully gotten stacked windbarbs over time and a background
coloring showing the local lapse rate at each pressure level over time.
However, when I tried to also plot a marker for lcl at each time, I got
something that looked right, but upon checking the data, was not
plotting on the same pressure levels as the other two plots. This became
abundantly clear when the plot top was changed for the windgram and the lapse.
The lcl plot is then plotted at the same NDC coordinates as it was before even
though its position relative to the other variables has changed dramatically.

I tried using

cld_res_at_trYAxisType = "LinearAxis"
cld_res_at_trYMaxF =maxp ; max(press(:,0,locY,locX))/100
cld_res_at_trYMinF = minp ;min(press(:,ptop-1,locY,locX))/100

Which improves things somewhat, but still doesn't yield an LCL plot in the same
relative position to the windgrams and local lapse rate when the top of the plot
changes.

The three plots are
wind_gram = gsn_vector(wks,ugrid,vgrid,uv_res) ;ugrid and vgrid are the usual
x and y wind components as per
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/meteo_1.ncl

lapserate=gsn_csm_contour(wks,lgrid,lapse_res) ; lgrid
                 is the "local" lapse rate on the same grid as above
and
cb_plot = gsn_y(wks,lcl,cld_res) ;lcl is
an array of calculated lcl's by time.

    draw(lapserate)
    draw(cb_plot)
    draw(wind_gram)
    frame(wks)

How do I ensure that the plot of lcl will be using the same y-axis
pressure/height levels as the other two??? Should I be using overlay?

Using overlay always comes back with a wrong type can't coerce error.

Examples of the plots being produced
http://home.comcast.net/~wxtofly/windgrams.html

Thanks in advance,
TJ Olney