CellFill and Irregular grids

From: Carl J. Schreck, III <carl_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 11:26:46 -0400

I'm trying to plot a very sparse dataset with cnFillMode = "CellFill",
but I notice that it makes the cells on the edges and corners smaller
than the others. It looks like it cuts them off in the middle. I
realize it has to do that for contouring, but I was hoping CellFill
could get around it. Is there a workaround?

One idea I had was to pad the data with identical points on the edges
that are only half a gridbox away. However, it appears that NCL has
issues contouring irregularly spaced grids, and gives me errors like
these:

warning:_NhlCreateSplineCoordApprox: Attempt to create spline
approximation for X axis failed: consider adjusting trXTensionF value
warning:_NhlCreateSplineCoordApprox: Attempt to create spline
approximation for Y axis failed: consider adjusting trYTensionF value
warning:IrTransInitialize: error creating spline approximation for
trXCoordPoints; defaulting to linear
warning:IrTransInitialize: error creating spline approximation for
trYCoordPoints; defaulting to linear

Attached is a sample script that might demonstrate the issues I'm
talking about. Thank you for your help!!

      Cheers,
      Carl