Re: Calendar: basic question

From: Dave Allured <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 15:58:37 -0600

Gwenaelle,

I do not have a specialized function for interpolating on the time
dimension like this. Perhaps someone else has a function made for
this exact purpose.

I think you can easily do this with one of the generic NCL
interpolation functions, applied to the data, along one dimension
only. There are several choices: linear, cubic spline, etc.

If the original time axis is regular and continuous, then you
probably do not need to interpolate each year separately. Simply
interpolate all data once, over the entire time range.

For the time coordinates, one way is to construct a new time number
ramp with a convenient time increment of say, 1.0 = 1 day, using the
ispan or fspan function. Add the units and calendar attributes to
get the desired result times, e.g.

   time = 0D + ispan (0, ntimes_out-1, ntimes_out)
                                      ; coerce to double
   time_at_units = "days since 1987-1-1 0:0:0"
   time_at_calendar = "360_day"

Where ntimes_out is the number of time steps in the result data;

And the date and time inside time_at_units is correct for the first
time step of the interpolated data. HTH.

--Dave