Reading GRiB1 from ECMWF, parameter table 140

From: Lonneke Goddijn-Murphy <Lonneke.Goddijn-Murphy_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 10:40:12 +0100

Hi, I have a data set concerning waves from ECMWF encoded in GRIB Ed. 1 (FM92-VIII), and want to extract the data. I am used to using MATLAB, but the MATLAB GRiB reader I found can't read ECMWF's parameter table 140. I suspect it would be too slow anyway. I have never used NCL, and I don't know anyone who has, and I would like to find out if I can get GRiB data out reasonably straightforward. The data is gridded, 0.25 resolution (the area is 10 x 7 degrees), and 4 times daily (period is one month). There are 30 parameters. What I want to achieve is: get the values of certain parameters (eg wave height, slope etc.) at 170 times and locations (stations during a cruise). Can I do this using NCL? I know how to read NetCDF in MATLAB. I would do it station for station if I had to.

I don't expect an answer explaining how to do it, just an indication if NCL is the way to go or not.

Thanks