Re: Getting Started examples: color settings

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 10:59:04 -0600 (MDT)

On Wed, 24 Jun 2009, B N wrote:

> Mary.
> Thank you. By the way does this type of question fall under the
> ncl-install listserve? I didn't know or I would have posted there.

You did the right thing by posting to ncl-talk. This was more of a
usage question than an installation question. Thanks for your concern,
though.

> I looked at my .hluresfile and its an exact copy as the .hluresfile
> from the NCL http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/hlures.shtml
> page.
> My setting for "wkColorMap" is
> *wkColorMap : rainbow+gray
>
> But ....
> I just commented out this line with a "!"
> !*wkColorMap : rainbow+gray
>
> and now I am getting the right colors, the default colormap, when I do
> example 2. This seems backwards. Should this line be commented out by
> default? I didn't change my colormap settings anywhere else.
> Sincerely,
> Bold

You are probably right, this line should be commented out by default.
I think it wasn't because the default color map really is not
appropriate for anything other than black-and-white plots.

The gsn_xxxx examples were created a long time ago, before we
even started suggesting that people download the ".hluresfile".

--Mary