Setting Title Resources in the WRF functions

From: Don Morton <morton_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2009 12:27:22 -0800

Hello,

I'm really getting to like these WRF-specific functions. I'm getting
confused, however, on what resources to use for "tweaking" the
graphics. I see that there are some suggestions at

<http://www.mmm.ucar.edu/wrf/OnLineTutorial/Graphics/NCL/NCL_functions.htm>

These have helped a lot, but not completely. I'm trying to re-position
and resize a main title (which is just the timestamp), and it ain't
working for me. If you look at

<http://weather.arsc.edu/ForecastProducts/AKTrial2/webImages/2009062500/image-FAIdbz-d02-001.gif>

what I'm trying to do is center the timestamp "title" and change its
font and/or size to make it more readable. I can send the complicated
script if somebody wants, but I'm trying to save you the agony by
excerpting the relevant portions below. I've tried playing around with
things like "resPlot_at_MainTitlePos" and "resPlot_at_PlotTitlePos" (I don't
even know if the latter is a valid resource, but I didn't get any
complaints). I've also played with some of the traditional
txFontHeightF types of resources, to no avail. I tried looking in
"wrf/WRFUserARW.ncl" but I guess I don't understand the design well
enough to make sense out of it.

Again, the following is just an excerpt, and I can email the whole thing
if somebody wants.

Thanks,

Don

  resPlot = True
  resPlot_at_FramePlot = False
  resPlot_at_NoTitles = True
  resPlot_at_CommonTitle = True
  resPlot_at_PlotTitle = timestamp

  ; DBZ contours (filled)
  mdbz = wrf_user_getvar(f, "mdbz", 0) ; Derived reflectivity
  mdbz_zoom = mdbz(y_start:y_end, x_start:x_end)

  resDBZ = True
  ; Remove the initial time header and the info footers
  resDBZ_at_InitTime = False
  resDBZ_at_Footer = False

  resDBZ_at_cnFillOn = True
  resDBZ_at_ContourParameters = (/5., 75., 5./)
  contourDBZ = wrf_contour(f, wks, mdbz_zoom, resDBZ)

  ; Map definitions
  resMap = True
  resMap_at_mpGeophysicalLineColor = "Black"

  resMap_at_ZoomIn = True ; set up map info for zoomed area
  resMap_at_Xstart = x_start
  resMap_at_Ystart = y_start
  resMap_at_Xend = x_end
  resMap_at_Yend = y_end
  ; Turn off the tick marks on the sides of map
  resMap_at_tmXTOn = False
  resMap_at_tmXBOn = False
  resMap_at_tmYLOn = False
  resMap_at_tmYROn = False
  plot = wrf_map_overlays(f, wks, (/contourDBZ/), resPlot, resMap)