Re: recommended practices for moving from one curvilinear grid to another curvilinear grid

From: Seth McGinnis <mcginnis_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 2009 15:16:17 -0600

Hi Bill,

I have written an NCL script to do exactly what you describe. I don't
know that I'd go so far as to call it a "best practice", but the technique
I found fairly speedy and not too ugly code-wise is to loop by hand
over the cells of the target grid using rcm2points() to do the
interpolation for each point separately. (The other approaches I looked
at either took forever or gave me results I had a hard time being sure
were structured correctly.) Here's the essence:

do j = 0,ny-1
  do i = 0,nx-1
    ipol = rcm2points(lat2d,lon2d,data,outlat(j,i),outlon(j,i),1)
    outdata(:,j,i) = (/ipol/)
  end do
end do

Cheers,