Character strings

From: Correia, James <james.correia_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 09 Jul 2009 09:44:30 -0700

Is there a function which can trim white space out of a character string?

For example I am reading in a file with model abbreviations and ensemble
numbers like this:
aom_1
cgcm31t47_1

Then using the names to construct a file name.

However I am using asciiread to read the data string back into ncl and then
use the array to open a new file. The above model names are read in using 10
ascii elements to accommodate the whole list.

So the file name ends up looking like:
aom_1 _y8.dat
Rather than
aom_1_y8.dat

So can the character string be trimmed down to non white space characters?

I am using ncl v5.1.0

jimmyc

James Correia Jr., PhD
Climate Physics Group
Post. Doc.
Pacific Northwest National Lab

"Wisdom. Strength. Courage. Generosity. Each of us are born with one of
these. It is up to us to find the other three inside of us."
-Into the West