Re: A few questions on improving the attached figure

From: Adam Phillips <asphilli_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 10:58:51 -0600

Hi Lei,
There are a large number of resources that control the Information
Label. I think you want to use cnInfoLabelOrthogonalPosF:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnInfoLabelOrthogonalPosF
try setting it to -0.02 and see if that works for you.

As far as the land color goes, I bet the colormap that you have defined
does not have gray in it. If that is true, then NCL will choose the
color that it thinks is closest to gray, in your case that seems to be
light blue.

(Note that if you are not defining a colormap via gsn_define_colormap or
gsn_merge_colormaps, that NCL will automatically use the default
colormap shown here:
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/ColorTables/default.shtml )

You have two options:
1) Choose a colormap with gray in it, and define it
     ex. gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow+gray")
2) Add the color gray to the existing loaded colormap via NhLNewColor:
    ex. gsn_define_colormap(wks,"BlWhRe")
         nc = NhlNewColor(wks,0.7,0.7,0.7) ; will add gray70 to colormap

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/NhlNewColor.shtml

Note that setting all three values the same in NhlNewColor will result
in black, different shades of grays, or white.
Hope that helps,
Adam