NCL 5.1.1 seg fault when drawing maps

From: Adam Davis <adamdavi_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 19:46:51 -0400

Dear NCL users,

When I run a script that involves creating a map plot using NCL 5.1.1, execution terminates with a segmentation fault at the point where the map is drawn. For instance, when I run the second NARR example script (http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/Scripts/narr_2.ncl) with the -x option, the script executes normally until the "plot = gsn_csm_contour_map..." line, where a segmentation fault occurs.

The segmentation fault also occurs with version 5.1.1 in several other scripts that I have written that draw maps, which all worked correctly with version 5.0.0 (I don't know about version 5.1.0, though). These scripts use a few different gsn_csm map functions (gsn_csm_contour_map, gsn_csm_vector_scalar_map, and gsn_csm_map), all of which seem to have this issue. I suspect that the problem is occurring when the map is drawn because in a couple of these scripts, I set gsnDraw and gsnFrame to False, then call a map function, add polymarkers and text to the maps, and finally call draw and frame to create the output, and running these scripts with the -x option reveals that the segmentation fault doesn't occur until the first call of draw. I have not encountered any problems drawing XY plots or the like with version 5.1.1 - just maps.

I am running NCL version 5.1.1 on Windows Vista SP1 under Cygwin/X (uname -a outputs CYGWIN_NT-6.0 srbwks45150-01 1.5.25(0.156/4/2) 2008-03-05 19:27 i686 Cygwin), although the same problem also arises on my laptop running version 5.1.1 on Windows XP SP2 under Cygwin/X. No warnings or errors are generated when this issue occurs besides "Segmentation fault (core dumped)".

If you need any additional details about this issue (more example scripts, stack traces, etc.), please let me know and I will be glad to provide them. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!

Sincerely,

Adam Davis
BSE Earth System Science and Engineering - Meteorology 2010
Dept. of Atmospheric Oceanic and Space Sciences
University of Michigan - Ann Arbor