Re: polygons

From: Dave Allured <dave.allured_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 12:52:46 -0600

Michael,

I vaguely recall the following algorithm from computer graphics.
Extend a line from a given test point in the plane, to infinity.
Count the number of times that it crosses an outline segment of the
given polygon. If the final count is an odd integer, then the point
is within the polygon. If the count is even, then the point is outside.

The advantage is that this algorithm works for polygons of any
complexity, including concave and disjoint polygons (i.e. multiple
regions). There are details about crossing at vertices and
computational efficiency that I can't speak to. See if you can find
a better description elsewhere.

If you would like, I can post a working NCL example that converts a
polygon to a grid mask. It uses a different algorithm which works
*only* for simple convex polygons that are not disjoint. I am
afraid that this will not be adequate for your tree mapping polygons.

Dave Allured
CU/CIRES Climate Diagnostics Center (CDC)
http://cires.colorado.edu/science/centers/cdc/
NOAA/ESRL/PSD, Climate Analysis Branch (CAB)
http://www.cdc.noaa.gov/psd1/