Converting Sigma Coordinates to Pressure in a netCDF file

From: John Allen <johnterrallen_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 16:04:44 +1000

Hi,
I have a multiple variable (zonal wind, merid, air temp, mixing ratio,
omega, geopotential height plus a number of single level variables) 4D
netCDF file that has been created using sigma coordinates as the lvl within
the file, which does not contain pressure or full model height. Is their a
simple way to not only add these two variables (ie something like
filevardef), but redefine lvl to pressure for each of the other variables?
My current thought is to use pres_sigma to create a pressure array of lvl,
lat, lon, then interpolate each of the other variables onto this pressure
array and create a new netCDF file, adding height by using an array
corresponding to the various defined sigma levels?
Any suggestions or comments on whether I am being particularly dull-witted
in my approach would be much appreciated.

Thanks
John

School of Earth Sciences
McCoy Building, Room 324
The University of Melbourne
Victoria, 3010,  Australia
Ph: (03) 83449596
email:j.allen2_at_pgrad.unimelb.edu.au <email%3Aj.allen2_at_pgrad.unimelb.edu.au>