Reading large grib2 files

From: Andrea Hahmann <ahah_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 15:36:21 +0200

Dear NCLelers,

I have been running into troubles when reading large (> 2GB) grid2 files
with NCL. The data comes from the 0.5 x 0.5 degree GFS model output from
the NCAR MSS (ds335.0/GFS0p5). The NCL reads a single file, extracts the
analysis (single time) 0.995 sigma level U and V winds, computes the wind
speed, and writes a single NetCDF file containing the resulting output.
Most times, the script takes 2-3 minutes to execute. Other times it just
hangs without returning any errors. Any ideas of what I can do to improve
the performance? All computations are done on the CISL data processing
servers gale, gust, or breeze.

Thanks in advance,
Andrea

--