Fatal error when reading gfs GRIB2 file

From: Gilmour, Isla <Isla.Gilmour_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 2009 10:13:43 -0400

Hi. I just moved from running NCL vs 5.0.0 to vs5.1.1 and am having an issue with code which previously ran to completion daily. I can't see anything of relevance in the archives or on the NCL website... so any insight would be appreciated.

The file is a z500 GFS file, downloaded from NCEP. With vs 4.3.0 it uploaded & I extracted the z500 variable, namely HGT_P0_L100_GLL0(13,:,:). But now I can't even open the file.

gilmour_at_xxx.nyc:/weather/gfs/20090831/00> ncl

 Copyright (C) 1995-2009 - All Rights Reserved

 NCAR Command Language Version 5.1.1

 The use of this software is governed by a License Agreement.

 See http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/ for more details.

ncl 0> file1 = addfile("fh.0000_tl.press_gr.1p0deg.grib2","r")

fatal:NclGRIB2: Invalid Product Definition Template.

fatal:Could not open (fh.0000_tl.press_gr.1p0deg)

Another piece of code which reads in ECMWF grib data continues to run to completion with vs5.1.1, suggesting that I have NCARG_ROOT etc set up properly.

Isla

Dr Isla Gilmour
D. E. Shaw & Co. (U.K.) Ltd.

D. E. Shaw & Co. (U.K.), Ltd., which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority, may record telephone calls made to or from our business and otherwise gather personal information that you may share in the course of our dealings with you. This information will be used for the purposes of providing services, keeping records, and regulatory compliance and, accordingly, may be transferred outside of the European Economic Area to other D. E. Shaw group companies.