Bug in code/documentation of contributed function 'rho_mwfj'

From: <arne.melsom_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 2009 10:49:37 +0000 (UTC)

Hi!

The contributed code with the eq. of state in the ocean, rho_mwfj, appears to me to be incorrect. It's basic syntax in ncl is
 function rho_mwjf (t2d [*][*] : numeric, s2d [*][*] : numeric, depth [1] : numeric)
where 'depth' is the depth at which to compute density, which should be given in meters, according to http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/rho_mwjf.shtml. In this function, the pressure is computed as
 pressure=0.100766*depth
with some corrections (mostly for large depths), i.e., meter are converted to bar. Then, the density at reference level 'depth' is (supposedly) computed.

The code is taken from one of the eq. of state provided with the POP code. In POP, the variable 'pressz [*]' holds the ref. pressure at each model level, in bar. Before entering the computation of density, this is modified to
 p = c10*pressz(kk)
(c10=10.), i.e. to desibar. Thus, it seems to me that the contributed code needs to be modified by e.g. inserting
 pressure = c10*pressure
after the initial computation of 'pressure'.

Hoping this might be of some help,
Arne Melsom
Norwegian Met. Institute