EOF signs

From: Aideen Foley <aideen.m.foley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 2009 14:44:12 +0100

Hello.
I am applying the same EOF analysis script to output from different climate
models, and finding that for some datasets, the primary EOF is positive, and
for others it is negative, with a time amplitude series that is the inverse
of what I would expect were it positive. I know that that one can multiply
the EOF and it's time amplitude series by -1 to aid interpretation, but I
would like to understand why the eofunc routine prefers inverted output for
some of my data but not for others. I would like if it followed the same
convention with each. dataset. Can anyone help me with this question?
Many thanks,
Aideen Foley