Re: color map

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 15:03:09 -0600

Also, see:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Contributed/symMinMaxPlt.shtml
and
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/nice_mnmxintvl.shtml

Adam Phillips wrote:
> Hi Debasish,
> There are 2 ways to do it.
> 1) Assuming you are using gsnSpreadColors, you can set
> gsnSpreadColorStart or gsnSpreadColorEnd:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/gsn.shtml#gsnSpreadColorEnd
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/gsn.shtml#gsnSpreadColorStart
>
> Using one of these resources to keep the white color around 0 in your
> labelbar would require some iterating. Alternatively, you could create a
> small function of your own that would calculate, based on the chosen
> contour levels, what to set gsnSpreadColorStart/gsnSpreadColorEnd to.
>
> 2) Manually set the cnFillColors resource:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Graphics/Resources/cn.shtml#cnFillColors
> using the BlWhRe colormap.
>
> There are many application examples that show how to use cnFillColors
> and the gsnSpreadColor* resources. One easy way to find them is by going
> to this page:
> http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Applications/res_list.shtml
> Good luck,
> Adam
>
> Debasish PaiMazumder wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am using "BlWhRe" color map to plot difference. I always set same
>> absolute value as maximum (+) and minimum (-) value of the contour to
>> get all negative values in blue color and all positive values in red
>> color. But when absolute values of the maximum and minimum of the
>> difference are in different order, I waste lots blue or red colors.
>> Is there anyway I can plot all negative values in blue color and all
>> positive values in red color without setting same maximum (+) and
>> minimum (-) absolute value of the contour?
>>
>> Thanks for your help
>>
>> Debasish
>>
>> Debasish PaiMazumder, PhD
>> Hydrology & Climate Science
>> Postdoctoral Researcher at UQÀM/Ouranos
>> 550, Sherbrooke west, 19th floor, west tower,
>> Montréal, QC, Canada H3A 1B9
>> Tel: (514) 282-6464-343
>> (514) 937-0042 (R)
>> email: debasish_at_sca.uqam.ca <mailto:debasish_at_sca.uqam.ca>

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |