About how to control the map show

From: Xuguang Sun <sunxg007_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 02:47:21 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Adam,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me to explain the questions by a simple example.

Suppose we have 500hPa geopotential height reanalysis data (whatever ECMWF or NCEP), and it is two dimentional, like h500(nlat,nlon), where, nlat=73, nlat=144.

after loading the necessary ncl scripts (gsn_code.ncl, gsn_csm.ncl, contributed.ncl and shea_util.ncl),

STEP 1.

I can do the following operations,

wks=gsn_open_wks("X11","exam")
res=True
res_at_mpCenterLonF = 180.0
plot=gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,h500,res)

then, we will have a contour display with land filled by "LightGray". But actually, I'm not very clear why the land is filled by "LightGray", because the default value for mpFillOn = False. This is the question 1.

STEP 2.

On the other hand, if I redefine the colormap by

gsn_define_colormap(wks,"rainbow")
and
plot=gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,h500,res)

the is no map under the contour display, why? This is the question 2.

STEP 3.

And then, as you said, I added the mpOutlineDrawOrder resources,

res_at_mpOutlineDrawOrder="PostDraw"
and
plot=gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,h500,res)

there is no difference from STEP 2. That means the resource mpOutlineDrawOrder doesn't work for this matter. Why? This is question 3.

STEP 4.

Furthermore, if I changed res_at_cnFillOn = True, like the followings,

res_at_cnFillOn = True
res_at_gsnSpreadColors = True
plot=gsn_csm_contour_map(wks,h500(0,:,:),res)

I got a shaded contour with map outline underneath. Why? This is question 4.

In summary, I'm just confused about how to control the map by some settings. Hope to get your answer. Thanks.

Xuguang

Message: 1