Re: About Rivernetwork Plotting over South America usingNCL, Thanks!

From: Xiaoming Sun <xiaoming.sun_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 21 Sep 2009 11:47:37 -0400

 Dear Rick and Mary,

 Thank you very much for your reply!

 However, the NCL on my computer is NCL 5.1.0.

 So I have to update the NCL to 5.1.1 to get what I want?

 Thank you again for your help!

 Best Regards,

 Xiaoming
 Xiaoming Sun
 2417 CIEMAS Bldg.
 Pratt School of Engineering
 Duke University
 Durham, NC, 27708, USA
 Phone: 919-660-5559 Fax: 919-660-5219
 E-mail: xiaoming.sun_at_duke.edu

 On Mon 09/21/09 12:27 PM , Mary Haley wrote:

 Hi Xiaoming,

 If you have version 5.1.1 of NCL, then you can download the shapefile
 data file that's provided in the URL, and use the attached script
 "SouthAmerica.ncl" to plot the data, Please see the PNG image as well.

 There are over 8000 individual line segments being "added" to the map,
 which can be a bit time-consuming. If you don't need to resize your
 plot (like to panel it), then it will be faster to use "gsn_polyline"
 rather than "gsn_add_polyline". The wall clock time goes from about
 50.5 seconds to 8.7 seconds.

 See the "SouthAmerica_faster.ncl" script for the faster version.

 --Mary