Re: "Height" axis label on left in gsn_csm_pres_hgt

From: Mary Haley <haley_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 07:18:54 -0600

Hi Oswald,

To change the left Y axis title, try:

    res_at_tiYAxisString = "Height (Km)"

There is no easy way in NCL to title both sides of a plot, so the
gsn_csm_pres_hgt
function uses a special method to title the right Y axis.
Unfortunately, there's no way to change this
title by setting a resource.

To change the right Y axis title, you need to copy $NCARG_ROOT/lib/
ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl
to your own personal directory, and change the line:

         "txString" : "Height (km)"

to whatever title you want.

You will then need to load your personal copy of "gsn_csm.ncl"
instead of the NCL installed one:

;load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "/path/to/your/copy/of/gsn_csm.ncl"

Of course, you will need to change "/path/to/your/copy/of" to
whatever path is appropriate.

Please note that gsn_csm_pres_hgt is expecting levels to be on the
left Y axis, so if
you change this to say "height", hopefully you've somehow dealt with
the left Y axis values
appropriately.

--Mary