Re: Ridges and troughs

From: Gareth Berry <gareth_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Apr 14 2009 - 08:10:28 MDT

Hi Patrick,

I have a couple of subroutines I use to draw objective trough and jet axes
in NCL. They were designed for African easterly waves, but you can change
the code to do ridges as well pretty easily. It defines troughs and ridges
by splitting the wind filed into its shear and curvature components.

I haven't had time to fully integrate it into NCL so it's a f90 routine that
you call from inside an NCL script and still has a few bugs (like hard-coded
fill values, regular grids only) that are on my long list of things to sort
out. It may take some tweaking with the sensitivities and various
thresholds, but in principle it's pretty simple and you're welcome to make
improvements.

I've got a webpage with the source code and background info:

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/gareth/source.htm

I use the code to generate real-time objective diagnostics from GFS data:

http://www.atmos.albany.edu/student/gareth/plots.html

Cheers,

Gareth.