Log Y-axis on contour plot.

From: Gareth Berry <gareth_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Oct 21 2009 - 19:20:25 MDT

Hi Folks,

Stupid question, but this is driving me up the wall!

I have a simple 2d data set, pressure x time and I want to plot a
contour plot with the log of pressure on the Y-axis. My pressure
coordinates are irregularly spaced but range from 100-975hPa.

Seems simple, but when using gsn_csm_contour with no resources set for
the y-axis NCL complains that "irregular coordinate array sfYArray
non-monotonic: defaulting sfYArray" . With gsnYAxisIrregular2Log =
True I get: "LogAxis requires all positive data extent: defaulting
trYAxisType to LinearAxis" although the coordinate axis values are all
>0 (100-975hPa). Perhaps I'm doing something truely boneheaded, but
infuriatingly I can do logarithmic xy plots of the same dataset at the
individual points! I've tried boiling it down to its most basic, but
still nothing works!

I'm using V5.1.1 on mac osx, if that is relevant. Below is the simple
script I've been working with and the (tiny) dataset is attached.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_code.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl"
load "$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/contributed.ncl"

begin

infile = addfile("mofo.nc","r")

data = infile->data

printVarSummary(data)

wks = gsn_open_wks( "x11", "test" )

res = True

;res@gsnYAxisIrregular2Linear = True
;res@sfYArray = data&level
res@gsnYAxisIrregular2Log = True

plot=gsn_csm_contour(wks,data,res)

end

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any guidance is appreciated!

Cheers,

Gareth.

P.S. I've also tried gsn_csm_pres_hgt, but get even more baffling
errors, perhaps someone clever understands if there is a link to my
problems above...

fatal:ftcurv: Error number 2.
fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 2157 in file
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl

fatal:Execute: Error occurred at or near line 11289 in file
$NCARG_ROOT/lib/ncarg/nclscripts/csm/gsn_csm.ncl