Re: Strange behavior in algebric computations

From: David Brown <dbrown_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Thu Oct 01 2009 - 18:29:21 MDT

Hi Mateus,

I think I have to disagree with Mary on this. I do not think it is a
bug, but a natural consequence of NCL's rules for the propagation of
missing values. The only way i think it can be considered a bug is in
that the initial choices of default missing values for NCL values were
a bit myopic. The default missing values should have been outside the
range of "normal" calculations. Likewise we should be encouraging
users to set their own missing values outside the range they expect
their computations to encompass, as Mary does here when she recommends
you use 1e20 rather than -32767 as the missing value. If you look at
this section of the NCL reference manual:

http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Manuals/Ref_Manual/NclExpressions.shtml#MissingValues

you will see that in the evaluation of any expression if any variable
has a _FillValue attribute it is propagated to the result of the
expression with elements on the left side of each operation prevailing
if there are different fill values. NCL has no way to know that in
this case an intermediate result is just accidently equal to the
_FillValue of the left hand variable in the calculation. And of course
once you have a missing value it is "viral" -- all subsequent
calculations are short-circuited and the missing value is propagated
as the result.

The bottom line is that this behavior results from a fundamental
property of NCL's data model that is built into all the arithmetic
operations. I don't think it could be changed without a radical
reworking of much significant code.

  -dave

On Oct 1, 2009, at 3:17 PM, Mary Haley wrote:

> [...]
>> Coordinates:
>> Number Of Attributes: 1
>> _FillValue : -32767
>>
>> Variable: sdh
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 4 bytes
>> 1 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 1
>> Dimensions and sizes: [1]
>> Coordinates:
>> Number Of Attributes: 1
>> _FillValue : -32767
>>

>> Variable: sv
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 4 bytes
>> 1 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 1
>> Dimensions and sizes: [1]
>> Coordinates:
>> Number Of Attributes: 1
>> _FillValue : -32767
>>

>> Variable: v (subsection)
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 4 bytes
>> 1 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 1
>> Dimensions and sizes: [1]
>> Coordinates:
>> Number Of Attributes: 8
>> lon : 302.5
>> lat : -35
>> nivel : 250
>> tempo : 1
>> padrao : 1
>> _FillValue : -32767
>> long_name : vento meridional
>> units : m/s
>>

>> Variable: hgt (subsection)
>> Type: float
>> Total Size: 4 bytes
>> 1 values
>> Number of Dimensions: 1
>> Dimensions and sizes: [1]
>> Coordinates:
>> Number Of Attributes: 8
>> lon : 302.5
>> lat : -35
>> nivel : 300
>> tempo : 1
>> padrao : 1
>> _FillValue : -32767
>> long_name : altura geopotencial
>> units : m
>>

>> And here is the loop
>>
>> sdh = 0.
>> su = 0.
>> sv = 0.
>> dh = 0.
>> do k = k10000, k3000
>> dh = hgt(c,t,k-1,j,i) - hgt(c,t,k,j,i)
>> sdh = sdh + dh
>> su = su + 0.5 * dh * ( u(c,t,k-1,j,i) + u(c,t,k,j,i) )
>> sv = sv + 0.5 * dh * ( v(c,t,k-1,j,i) + v(c,t,k,j,i) )
>> end do
>>
>> And all these lines are inside other loops for c, t, i, and j. I
>> searched for missing values in the data (hgt, u, and v), founding
>> nothing. It is very strange. I thought it was due a error
>> accumulations, but the variables involved are equaled to zero
>> before k
>> loop.
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Mateus
>>

>> 2009/10/1 Mary Haley <haley@ucar.edu>:
>>> Hi Mateus,
>>>
>>> I was unable to reproduce your problem. Can you try this code and

>>> dh = 1271
>>> v1 = 0.699997
>>> v2 = -4.8
>>> su1 = su + dh * (v1 + v2) / 2