Re: NCL from MacPorts

From: Rob Nicholas <rnicholas_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 10:05:00 MDT

Hi Mary,

MacPorts doesn't distribute binaries -- rather, it's a
build-from-source system. So, for example, if I issue the command

     sudo port install nco

on my machine, MacPorts downloads the NCO source code from the NCO
home page (i.e. the NCO SourceForge site), applies any patches needed
to make it work correctly on a Mac, builds NCO from the patched
source, and then installs everything in /opt/local. If there are any
required dependencies (e.g. the NetCDF libraries) that aren't yet
installed, those are built from source first.

It ends up being a little more difficult than this for NCL because you
happen to have the NCL source code sequestered inside ESG, which means
the user has to download the source manually and place it in the
appropriate port directory before building, but otherwise it works the
same way. Which means that a MacPorts version of NCL should play
nicely with one's system... except when it doesn't.

Perhaps if the maintainer of the 'ncarg' port is on the list, he or
she could weigh in here...

Thanks,
Rob