Reorganise daily data

From: Gina Henderson <ginah_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 03 2009 - 14:29:56 MST

Hi there,

I am trying to reorder some data. I have daily model output broken up into
files that have 30 days in each. I have this output for 40 years so
approximately 480 files. I would like to do an addfiles across all files,
read in a variable and then break it up into the structure (year, month,
day, lat, lon), however as the day dimension will vary from month to month I
am not sure how to deal with this.

When I had monthly data I used the following:
new_var = onedtond ( ndtooned (old_var), (/40, 12, 64, 128/))

Has anyone dealt with this issue when dealing with daily data before? I need
to compute daily anomalies from monthly means so will need to be able to sum
across the month dimension but still have a day dimension per month.

Thanks, Gina.