Re: Could it be possible to add extrapolation option to linear interpolation

From: Dennis Shea <shea_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Nov 17 2009 - 09:00:54 MST

The function:

       http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/ftcurvps.shtml

will perform extrapolation. However, as noted, the extrapolated results
may be "unreliable".

===

Extrapolation is always "dangerous"!
What 'model' do you propose to perform the extrapolation?

One suggestion would be to
[1] perform the linear interpolation [y]
[2] use 'regline' to get the needed parameters for a line
http://www.ncl.ucar.edu/Document/Functions/Built-in/regline.shtml
Read about the attributes.

      y = linint1(...)
      x = ispan(1,dimsizes(y),1)
      rc = regline (x,y)

      yNew = rc*xNew + rc@yintercept

guangshan chen wrote:
> Dear NCL Developer,
>
> When I use linint1 function, I want to extrapolate data too. But It does not have.
>
> Could it be possible to add extrapolation option to it? same to linint1_n and linint1_n_Wrap et al.
>
> There is foOption not used now. I think it could be used to choose extrapolation or not. Say 0 is no extrapolation, 1 is extrapolation.
>
> It seems now I have to use Matlab to interpolate the data that I want.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Guangshan

Dennis J. Shea                  tel: 303-497-1361    |
P.O. Box 3000                   fax: 303-497-1333    |
Climate Analysis Section                             |
Climate & Global Dynamics Div.                       |
National Center for Atmospheric Research             |
Boulder, CO  80307                                   |
USA                        email: shea 'at' ucar.edu |