Question about the TickMark resources and the changes of viewport width.

From: »Æƽ <ph0007_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Sat Nov 14 2009 - 22:42:44 MST

Hi, all

A lot of TickMark (tm) resources' values scales proportionally to changes in the width of the viewport. Sometime, I need to reduce the viewport height of the plot for puting several plot into one panel using gsn_panel() and keep the default values (for a viewport width of 0.6) of the tickmark objects. How to cutoff the connection between TickMark and viewport?

Confusely, there are some different cases about the connection between TickMark and viewport.

;-----------------------------------------------------------
Case 1. set the vpWidthF before plot:

res = True
res@vpWidthF = 0.3

plot1 = gsn........ ;first plot with res
plot2 = gsn........ ; second plot with res

All the TickMark of plots change with viewport Width 0.3.

;-----------------------------------------------------------

Case 2. set the vpWidthF after one plot:

res = True

plot1 = gsn........ ;first plot with res
res@vpWidthF = 0.3
plot2 = gsn........ ; second plot with res

Of course, the tickmarks of plot1 is proportional to the default vpWidthF 0.6. But the tickmarks of the plot2 do not change with the vpWidthF 0.3!

;----------------------------------------------------------------

Case 3. set the vpWidthF before one plot and change vpWidthF again after this plot :

res = True
res@vpWidthF = 0.5
plot1 = gsn........ ;first plot with res
res@vpWidthF = 0.3
plot2 = gsn........ ; second plot with res

First, the tickmarks of plot1 reduce with the changes of vpWidthF = 0.5 like the case 1. But the tickmarks of the plot2 reduce with the changes of the vpWidthF 0.3 too. This is not like the case 2.

So I have to add a unneccessary plot befor setting vpWidthF as case 2 to keep proper tickmark sizes and viewport height in the plot2 and hereafters.

I am very confused with these three cases. Could anyone explain these cases and give a proper setting to cutoff the connection between tickmark and viewport?

Best regards.

Huang Ping