Re: Metric wind barbs

From: Andrew Wiebe <AndrewW_at_nyahnyahspammersnyahnyah>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 17:04:56 MST

Hi Jack,

This may answer your question

Appendix II-4, Manual on the Global Data-Processing and Forecasting
System WMO-No. 485

"2.2 The following rules determine the symbols to be used for the
plotting of the various upper-air observation elements
which appear on the constant pressure charts.

(a) The wind at the level of the chart should be plotted with a solid
shaft touching the station circle, the barbs and
solid pennants flying to the left of the wind shaft in the northern
hemisphere and to the right of the wind shaft
in the southern hemisphere. The full barbs represent 5 m s-1 or 10
knots, the half-barbs represent 2.5 m s-1 or 5
knots, and the solid pennant represents 25 m s-1 or 50 knots."

Andrew Wiebe | Senior Air Quality Consultant
Katestone Environmental Pty Ltd | ABN 92 097 270 276
Terrace 5, 249 Coronation Drive, PO Box 2217 Milton Queensland,
Australia
Ph +61 7 3369 3699 | Fax +61 7 3369 1966 | Mob + 61 450 460 676
AndrewW@katestone.com.au | www.katestone.com.au